Sometimes you take a step back and realise how lucky you are in life. Last weekend that’s exactly what I did in my happy place of Winterton-On-Sea. There was something about laying on the beach watching the world go by that made me realise how incredibly lucky I was to have all of this on my doorstep. Nelson’s County is an incredible place to live – I want to shout it from the rooftops, but I don’t want people knowing about my little secret at the same time! So here’s a little sneak peek into my county by way of 5 things to Love about Norfolk.
- The Fine City of Norwich – In fact it’s the only city in Norfolk making it the central hub of activity for the county. There’s a unique vibe about the place, it’s so chilled out and supportive and there’s the best community spirit here. It’s got that small town feel but with all of the big city benefits. You have your standard high street shops nestled next to the local, independent lanes. All underneath the towering watch of the castle surrounded by the old city walls. The pace here is slow, the people are friendly and you can be whoever you want here without anyone turning a blind eye.
- The Broads – An incredible series of lakes and rivers forming the most stunning wetlands and nature reserves. Nestled along the banks are woods, nature walks and country pubs. All of this within a short distance of the city centre – in fact you can jump on a boat in the city and head out to the gorgeous Norfolk Broads. As soon as the sun is shining, and sometimes when it’s not, the residents of Norfolk get out on the broads for the day. There’s no better way to spend a summer day than on a hire boat cruising around. You can even do a pub crawl along the river. You’ll notice a theme of amazing pubs, great food and local ales in Norfolk!
- The Countryside on your Doorstep – You’re never far from the countryside and the fresh air and amazing lifestyle it brings. In fact you can drive for ten minutes out of the city centre and be out in the country. There are so many great places out in the countryside, whether it be the perfect family activity day, a quiet woodland walk or an able along the broads – there is something for everyone. You have the best of both worlds if you live in Norwich, you’ve got the benefit of a city and the countryside all wrapped up in one.
- The Coast – You’re basically surrounded by it! I’m lucky enough to have some of the best beaches less than an hour away from my doorstep. If you fancy a traditional British seaside experience you’ve got Great Yarmouth, Cromer or Sherringham. If you fancy a beach with incredible views and a cute village pub, there’s Winterton-on-Sea. Or if you want to go to a beach surrounded by small shops, a hall and woods check out Holkham! The latter two have to be my favourites in Norfolk. What’s more that’s not even half of the amazing beaches in Nelson’s county. You can’t talk about the Norfolk Coast without mentioning our amazing seals who you can go and see at Horsey during the winter. There’s literally a beach for everyone and everything!
- The Lifestyle – It’s nothing short of incredible. From amazing days out, hidden gems in unexpected places, local pubs, food that’s out of this world and an incredible local community spirit. There’s nowhere else like Norfolk!
Can you tell that I bloody love it here?!
What do you love about Norfolk?